Pages

Friday, February 19, 2016

Leadership Development


In my early years of doing Committee on Ministry work in John Calvin Presbytery, I often accompanied Jim Marlette, Associate Executive. Jim was usually in lead as we met with sessions concerning issues, conflicts and opportunities they were facing. My role, in the meeting, was to observe Jim and those with whom we were meeting. After the meeting, on our way home, we frequently stopped some place for coffee to “debrief” our meeting. Jim would usually ask, “What did you see happening during the meeting?” I would share my observations and Jim would ask, “What could have improved the outcome?” He really was not asking me to critique his participation. He was asking me to take in my total observation and to draw lessons for my own development. I give thanks for Jim’s being a significant influence in my OJT (on the job training.)

This afternoon I was reading an article on LinkedIn. The article was titled “Why Leadership-Development Programs Fail.” (McKinsey Quarterly, January, 2014, Pierre Gurdjian, Thomas Halbeisen, and Kevin Lane) In the church, as in business, we have often used off-site academic style educational opportunities for leadership development. We have sent gifted people off someplace to acquire knowledge on various topics such as conflict management, administration, preaching, pastoral care, and a plethora of functional tasks. When they return to their context, we wonder why performance is not improved all that much. Gurdjian, et al, state,

When it comes to planning the program’s curriculum, companies face a delicate balancing act. On the one hand, there is value in off-site programs (many in university-like settings) that offer participants time to step back and escape the pressing demands of a day job. On the other hand, even after very basic training sessions, adults typically retain just 10 percent of what they hear in classroom lectures, versus nearly two-thirds when they learn by doing. Furthermore, burgeoning leaders, no matter how talented, often struggle to transfer even their most powerful off-site experiences into changed behavior on the front line.

The answer sounds straightforward: tie leadership development to real on-the-job projects that have a business impact and improve learning. But it’s not easy to create opportunities that simultaneously address high-priority needs—say, accelerating a new-product launch, turning around a sales region, negotiating an external partnership, or developing a new digital-marketing strategy—and provide personal-development opportunities for the participants.

Yes, during the whole course of my ministry, I went off to take various specialized courses for my study leave, often underwritten by the congregation, presbytery, and synod. I have to acknowledge the truth of the assertion, in the article, I learned a lot more by doing and the reflective practice Jim led me through in real life situations.

I have discovered that Jim was functioning as a coach. He was asking me to employ my knowledge, my gut intuition, and observations to mold my theology, philosophy and practice in a contextual situation. Long before I knew it Jim was schooling me to be a coach. Since then, I have supplemented what Jim taught me by studying the theory and practice of coaching through the Auburn Coaching Institute, actively practicing coaching, continued study, and participating in reflective practice with other coaches.

I am convinced, dollar for dollar, the best “leadership development” for pastors, other leaders in congregations, and in more inclusive councils (governing bodies/judicatories) of the church is OJT with a coach. Where the coach and leader are in a co-creative process dealing with real time situations in the specific context in which the leader finds her/his self. The role of the coach is not to give direction, but to help the leader draw upon their own resources, reflectively, to discover a way forward. 

No comments:

Post a Comment