Pages

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Washing Windows



I am now two months since leaving my position as general presbyter of Kiskiminetas Presbytery. The first two weeks were earned vacation. The rest of the time has been in retirement. When asked about how retirement is going, I have responded, “Every day is Saturday.” It has been a truly laid back time. I think I have only worn my wrist watch a couple of times. (I know younger generations ask, “What is a wrist watch?” but I am an early boomer and a watch seems to have come with my left arm.) There have only been a few times when I have worn long pants and dress shoes. Most of my time has been in shorts and sandals.

Even before retirement, I have had a fairly long punch list of things which need attention around the house. With everyday being Saturday it has been tempting to chill reading on my iPad and an obligatory afternoon siesta. Half way through the traditional “summer time,” I am now realizing that if I do not get with it, few items on my punch list will get done. Last week, I told my wife, Nancy, I needed to start doing one thing each day. It does not matter if it is a grand project or just pulling a few weeds in the garden.

Today, I decided to get serious about doing something. So, I decided to wash the windows in the room we spend most of our time in. It has windows and a sliding glass door on three sides of the room which allow us to look out upon our sequestered back yard. Even though we live in a housing development it feels like we are in our own tree and bush sanctuary away from the world. I do not mind washing windows. In fact, with the proper equipment, I like washing windows. When I posted on Facebook I had completed the job, I had several invitations to go wash the windows of friends. One friend, commenting on my liking to wash windows responded, “There's a start, there's a finish, and it looks better when you're done. Lots to commend there.” Indeed, that is it!

One can literally see what has been done. In many instances, as a pastor and as a general presbyter, there were so many things needing attention; the proclivity to procrastinate was always tempting; and there was seldom as start, a finish, and things looked better when you were done. I cannot begin to count the number of “to do lists” which gathered dust on my desk. That is true although I tend toward intentionality and feel relief when things are done. Maybe that was one of the reasons I enjoyed analytic spreadsheets, which drove others bonkers.

I am sure I am not the only one in ministry afflicted by the diseases of feeling overwhelmed by the number of things calling for my attention, of being tempted to procrastinate, and of not being able to see a clear end. I could have benefited by having a coach helping me develop clear goals, assist me in defining measurable outcomes, identifying a deeper meaning behind the mundane, and clarifying signs of success. It would have been of enormous advantage, especially in the early years of trying to grow into the ministry.

So what have I learned? Everything does not have to be done at one time. One clear task at a time accomplishes a lot, so do something. It is okay to enjoy to sense of success. The path to success lies with us. We can be our own worst enemies. We easily fall into bad habits just as a golfer, ball player, ice skater or tennis player can. That is where a coach comes in. The coach helps us look at things as they are, set goals for future action and holds us accountable for the changes we want to make in our self and our ministry. I have been there. Now, I am coaching others in life and ministry. This is what God has been preparing me to do at this point in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment